Prerequisites: This course is open to students of all skill levels. There is no prerequisite.
Course Length: Minimum 9 hours (not including lunch or breaks).
Find course dates, prices details and online registration on our Course Calendar.
Course Description: The N.A.P.S.I. Foundations of Defensive Pistol (FDP) Course was developed to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals, and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
FDP consumes a full day (approximately 9 hours), and contains hours of classroom instruction in addition to several hours of live-fire instruction on a range. This class is ideally suited for new gun owners, the new/beginning defensive shooter, the student who has shooting experience but has never had any formal training, or as a “refresher” course for the experienced shooter.
FDP starts out with the basics and takes the student to a level of operational competence by the end of the class. Students should expect to fire approximately 150 rounds of ammunition. Topics of instruction will include:
- Introduction to Revolvers and Semi-Automatic Pistols
- Firearms Safety and Safe Gun Handling Practices
- Introduction to Holsters, Belts, and Off-Body Carry Methods
- Introduction to Ammunition
- Care and Cleaning of Handguns
- Range Safety Protocols
- Defensive Handgun Selection
- Defensive Mindset Concept
- Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Introduction to Using Cover and Concealment