Prerequisites: This course is open to students of all skill levels. There is no prerequisite.
Course Length: Minimum 9 hours (not including lunch or breaks).
Find course dates, prices details and online registration on our Course Calendar.
Course Description: The shotgun is one of the most popular firearm platforms in the United States and has been for generations. It is estimated that approximately 55% of all gun owners own at least one shotgun, and it’s no wonder being how the shotgun is, perhaps, more versatile than just about any other firearm/ammunition combination available at this time. The shotgun excels in a wide variety of applications including hunting, recreational, sport shooting, law enforcement, military, and home/homestead defense. This versatility, combined with widespread ownership, is what prompted N.A.P.S.I. to invest the time and resources to develop the N.A.P.S.I. Foundations of Home
Defense Shotgun (FHDS) course, the newest addition to the already comprehensive list of N.A.P.S.I. course offerings.
The N.A.P.S.I. FHDS course lays the foundational groundwork upon which a solid set of defensive shotgun shooting skills are developed. FHDS is designed to provide the student with a solid understanding of the mechanical operation of the shotgun, various types of shotgun ammunition and how it functions, comprehensive home defense planning and strategies, and fundamental defensive shooting skills.
Students should expect to fire approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. FHDS consists of a full day (approx. 9 hours) of intense teaching, range training, and repetitive practice covering a variety of topics including:
- Introduction to pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns
- Considerations for selecting a home defense shotgun
- Maintenance and cleaning of the home defense shotgun
- Firearms safety and safe gun handling practices
- Introduction to various shotgun accessories
- Introduction to various types of shotgun ammunition and how it functions
- Considerations for selecting home defense shotgun ammunition
- Patterning the home defense shotgun
- Defensive shooting fundamentals
- Using cover and concealment
- The Five Keys to home defense