Prerequisite: NAPSI FDP or BDSS Course Completion Certificate or pass a three-part pre-course qualification test.
Course Length: Minimum 9 hours (not including lunch or breaks).
Find course dates, prices details and online registration on our Course Calendar.
Course Description: The N.A.P.S.I. Essential Defensive Pistol (EDP) Course was developed to provide the student with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in FDP or BDSS. This includes a continued focus on the defensive mindset, discussion regarding avoidance/de-escalation strategies, an understanding of the physiological changes that occur in the body when under lethal force stress and what affect they have on our training, and a series of skill development exercises that will help the student learn to more efficiently and effectively use a handgun for self-defense in a lethal force encounter. EDP focuses on encounters that take place at distances beyond two arms reach.
This is the class where all of the foundational work completed in FDP and/or BDSS starts to come together with a true mastery of running the gun. This course will allow the student to safely push his/her performance limits while quickly building the confidence and competence needed to prevail in a real lethal force encounter. EDP answers the “why” questions with quantifiable, empirical evidence-based information.
Students should expect to fire approximately 250 rounds of ammunition. EDP consists of a full day (approx. 9 hours) of intense teaching, range training, and repetitive practice covering a variety of topics including:
- Review of Firearms Safety and Safe Gun Handling Practices
- In-depth Discussion on Physiological Changes that take place when under severe stress, and what effect they have on our training
- Review of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Using Lateral Movement during a fight
- Presentation From a Holster
- Emergency and Tactical Reload Procedures
- Proper Scan and Assess Procedures
- Balance of Speed and Precision
- Strong Hand Only Presentation and Operation
- Non-diagnostic Malfunction Remedies
- Realistic Approach to Engaging Multiple Targets
- Moving to Cover and Concealment
- Application of Skills in a 360 Degree Environment