Prerequisite: NAPSI Essential Defensive Pistol
Course Length: Minimum 15 hours (not including lunch and breaks). We run this class over the course of two days. We typically begin each day at 8:00 am and try to get through 60% of the class on Saturday.
Find course dates, prices details and online registration on our Course Calendar.
Course Description: The N.A.P.S.I. Advanced Defensive Pistol Skills (ADPS) Course was developed to provide students with the opportunity to learn and develop pistol skills that can be utilized in-fight. ADPS focuses on the specialized skills required for effective and safe pistol manipulation and operation from up close at contact distance, in addition to the skills needed for efficient and effective operation of the pistol under the dynamic and constantly changing conditions that are inherent in violent conflict.
In this course, the concepts of using explosive movement, the necessity for a high level of defensive accuracy, and the importance of achieving a proper balance of speed and precision that were learned in EDP, are greatly expanded upon through their application in a series of purpose-built range exercises and drills. This course will push the student to the edge of his or her performance ability and beyond, while in a safe, controlled, professionally-supervised environment.
Students should expect to fire approximately 400 rounds of ammunition. ADPS consists of two full days (approx. 8 hours each) of intense teaching, range training, and repetitive practice covering a variety of topics and skills including:
- Review of Firearms Safety and Safe Gun Handling Practices
- A review of Foundational and Essential Defensive Pistol Skills from the FPD, BDSS, and EDP coursework.
- Proper Manipulation and Operation of the Defensive Pistol as the Proximity to the Threat Changes in Real Time (From 0 – 15 feet).
- Strong Hand Only and Support Hand Only Shooting
- Safely Transitioning the Pistol from one hand to the other under contextually appropriate circumstances
- Review Use of Cover and Concealment
- Maintaining Acceptable Accuracy Standards at Longer Ranges
- Using 360-degree movement
- Moving with Purpose
- Shooting While Moving
- Application of Advanced Defensive Pistol Skills in a 360-Degree Environment