Prerequisites: This course is open to students of all skill levels. There is no prerequisite.
Course Length: Minimum 8 hours (not including lunch or breaks). This class is typically run as an all-day class beginning at 8:00 am and running until approximately 6:00 pm. Other class formats may be used depending on venue.
Find course dates, prices, details, and online registration on our Course Calendar.
Course Description: The AMI Dynamic Defensive Pistol Course (DDP) is an intuitive program that was developed to teach students techniques, tactics, and skills that will help them use a defensive handgun more efficiently and effectively in a real dynamic lethal-force encounter. DDP places a strong emphasis on counter-ambush methodology and technique.
This course consists of a full day of intense teaching, range training, and repetitive practice covering a variety of topics including:
- Defensive Shooting Fundamentals and Skill Development
- Combat Accuracy
- Volume of Fire
- Using Lateral Movement
- The Emergency Reload
- The Body’s Natural Reactions to a Dynamic Critical Incident
- Presentation From a Holster
- The Balance of Speed and Precision
- Strong Hand Only and Support Hand Only Shooting
- Non-Diagnostic Malfunction Clearing Remedies
- Multiple Target Engagements
- Developing Intuitive Learned Response Patterns
AMI DDP is NOT a “target shooting” or “marksmanship” course. It is not designed to make you the best marksman you could possibly be. Rather, the goal of this course is to help you quickly develop essential skills that can help you prevail in a real, dynamic lethal force encounter.
- Personal Handgun: The firearm should be of modern design, use centerfire ammunition, be clean, serviceable, and with all factory safety devices intact and in proper working order. It is HIGHLY recommended that you bring a semi-automatic firearm as you will be doing a lot of reloading during this class. Revolvers are allowed but their use is discouraged. It is also recommended that you bring a spare firearm with the same accompanying accessories if possible.
- Ammunition: Minimum of 300 rounds (400 recommended) of ammunition for your handgun.
- Holster: A strong side belt holster that properly fits your handgun. Shoulder holsters, cross-draw holsters, ankle holsters, and fanny packs may not be used.
- Magazines & Speedloaders: Three magazines or speedloaders (if you’re using a revolver) with belt pouches are required.
- Clothing: A sturdy belt, a brimmed hat, and adequate clothing for the weather as appropriate.
- Other Equipment: Either shooting muffs or earplugs and some type of glasses are required.